Warming digestive tonic with similar indications as turmeric, with less potent antiinflammatory effects.
• poor digestion (abdominal pain, bloating, cramping)
- irritible bowel disease (IBS)
• nausea and vomiting
- hyperemesis gravidarum (pregnancy)
- morning sickness
- motion sickness
- emesis-induced chemotherapy
• gastric ulcers
• atonic biliary conditions
- cholelithiasis (gallstones)
- biliary dyskinesia
• non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
• coronary heart disease
• thrombosis (prevention)
• rheumatic conditions
- osteoarthritis (OA)
- rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
• migraines (prevent, decrease)
• carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
• various cancers (possible)
• alcohol abuse
• Volatile oil
• Phenolics (gingerols, shogaol)
• Tincture (1:5 40% EtOH): 1-5 ml tid
• Liquid extract (1:1 40% EtOH): 0.25-1 ml tid
• Decoction (fresh root): 1-2 tsp qd
• Ginger candies: as needed for nausea
• Anticoagulants - possesses anti-platelet effects and may interact with blood thinners.
Barnes J, Anderson LA, Phillipson JD. Herbal Medicines, 3rd ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press, 2007.
Bone K. Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2000.
Bone K. A Clinical Guide to Blending Liquid Herbs: Herbal Formulations for the Individual Patient. St Louis, MO: Churchill Livingstone, 2003.
Brinker F. The Toxicology of Botanical Medicines, 3rd ed. Sandy, Oregon: Eclectic Medical Publications, 2000.
Felter HW, Lloyd JU. King's American Dispensatory. 1898. http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/eclectic/kings/main.html. Accessed: August 19, 2006.
Hoffman D. Medical Herbalism. Rochester, Vermont: Healing Arts Press, 2003.
Weiss RF. Herbal Medicine. Beaconsfield, England: Beaconsfield Publishers Ltd, 1988.
Williamson EM, ed. Major Herbs of Ayurveda. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2002
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. www.healthydigestionclinic.com © 2015 NDAssist Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.