|Other:||Purple Cone Flower|
|Family:||E. purpurea ¶ E. pallida|
• bacterial infections (chronic and acute)
• upper respiratory tract infections
• prophylactic colds and flus
• recurrent candidiasis
Note: lipid phillic extracts (alkylamides) were more effective than hydrohphilic extracts (caffeic aicd derivatives) at activating phagocytes.
• warts (internally)
• carbuncles, boils (topically)
• poor wound healing
• adjuvant therapy (contraversal)
• caffeic acid esters (echinacoside)
• pyrrolizidine alkaloids (trace)
• Tincture (1:5 40% EtOH) 1-4 ml tid
• Liquid extract (1:1 45 EtOH) 0.5-1 ml tid
• Decoction: 1-2 tsp root tid
• Autoimmune - there is some theoretical risks associated with its use in autoimmune diseases, allergies and astma; however no
• Immunosuppresive drugs - best to avoid due to theoretical interaction.
• Breast cancer - may decrease survival time for breast cancer survivors
Ma H, Carpenter CL, Sullivan-Halley J, Bernstein L. The roles of herbal remedies in survival and quality of life among long-term breast cancer survivors--results of a prospective study. BMC Cancer. 2011 Jun 6;11:222. PubMed PMID: 21645383
Barnes J, Anderson LA, Phillipson JD. Herbal Medicines, 3rd ed. London: Pharmaceutical Press, 2007.
Bone K. Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2000.
Bone K. A Clinical Guide to Blending Liquid Herbs: Herbal Formulations for the Individual Patient. St Louis, MO: Churchill Livingstone, 2003.
Brinker F. The Toxicology of Botanical Medicines, 3rd ed. Sandy, Oregon: Eclectic Medical Publications, 2000.
Felter HW, Lloyd JU. King's American Dispensatory. 1898. http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/eclectic/kings/main.html. Accessed: August 19, 2006.
Hoffman D. Medical Herbalism. Rochester, Vermont: Healing Arts Press, 2003.
Weiss RF. Herbal Medicine. Beaconsfield, England: Beaconsfield Publishers Ltd, 1988.
Williamson EM, ed. Major Herbs of Ayurveda. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2002
Disclaimer: This content is subject to change. The information is intended to inform and educate; it does not replace the medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional. www.healthydigestionclinic.com © 2015 NDAssist Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.